The Chant Heard Around the World

Genevieve Backes, Editor

The Class of 2019 had been the first class in Lone Star High School history to have never won the Spirit Stick. Keyword being had. This all changed on Thursday, September 13, 2018, when Ms. Beardan finally granted the deprived class their much needed fix – the Spirit Stick.

The Spirit Stick is a sacred tradition at Lone Star High School, inhibiting bragging rights, unification and glory within its beholders. Classes have written their name down in history – AJ Vandunk, 2018, reminiscing in the glory for weeks without returning the sacred symbol, the Class of 2020 winning the stick at the 2018 Aloha pep rally, as well as the Class of 2017 strengthening their grasp throughout their reign – marking their own presence on the stick and basking in its eternal glory. However, the Spirit Stick must be earned. A class cannot obtain its glory without earning it.

The Class of 2019 had finally done it. They won. They basked in the stick’s glory and they chanted and screamed. They cheered and whooped as soon as the stick came into their direction. Landon Braxton, 2019, waved the stick with joy, capturing the anticipation for years in the single moment.

As soon as they stepped foot into the stands, it was destiny. From singing “Baby” by Justin Beiber at the top of their lungs to synchronizing to the Riot and Rally’s entrance to screaming the fight song, the chances of the Class of 2019 not winning the stick were thrown out the door.

The Class of 2019 may never win the spirit stick again, but on that fateful day, their chants were heard around the world.