Homework: From Sanity to Stress

How the Class of 2022 Are Adjusting to High School Life

Jahnavi Vejju, writer

The members of the class of 2022 have gone through ups and downs during their new high school lifestyle, trying to working hard to achieve success.

“Some teachers prepare us better for quizzes than others, but for me, most of it is self-studying,” Shriya Danam, 2022, said.

While self-studying has proven to yield dramatic results, the struggle of balancing homework and other activities may be difficult.

“Having band practices and competitions causes me to have to put homework almost as an afterthought because they seem to force us to put marching band first,” Olivia Musslewhite, 2022, said.

Band students haven’t had much time on their hands juggling homework, band practices, competitions and their social life due to their dedication to band.

“I worry about grades too much and I end up stressing myself out too much. Stress is something that is hard to get rid of if you’re really busy,” Varshitha Lalam, 2022, said.

Large amounts of homework can cause a lot of stress, due to the fact that teachers don’t always give enough time to complete the homework.

“Because I teach English, most of my grading deals with essays or short answers, which require a large amount of time and feedback for the students,” Ms. Oncken, English teacher, said.

Many teachers, such as Ms. Oncken, try to space out grading as much as possible so grading doesn’t get overwhelming.

“Sure it seems like a lot of work and usually it is, but it’s necessary to succeed in school, unless you have a photographic memory in which case I wish I could be you,” Soumika Seelam, 2022, said.