Final Act of Kindness

Camila Coz, Staff Writer

All money raised by the Sadie Hawkins dance will go towards Richard Dungan’s scholarship fund with the Frisco Education Foundation. Richard Dungan passed away due to a motorcycle accident on January 15th. He was a beloved parking attendant at Lone Star High School and taught kindness to everyone who walked through the doors.

Richard Dungan made it a priority to greet and open car doors for as many people as possible throughout his days at Lone Star. His kind actions did not go unnoticed by the students and staff. With his passing, the Lone Star nation was brought together to celebrate his life and legacy, inspiring many to be more compassionate. Many of the students took to Twitter in light of Mr. Dungan’s passing to pay respects to him and his family.

“My prayers go out to Mr. Dungan’s family. He was such an incredible and nice man and always knew how to make people smile every morning,” Madison Ari, 2017, said.

On January 16th, the students, staff, and administrators at Lone Star participated in a memorial for Mr. Dungan before, during, and after school. In the morning in the spot that Dungan would stand to open car doors, staff and students lined up to greet those who entered. Throughout the school day, a giant poster was filled to the brim with names of those who would miss and honor Richard Dungan and his legacy. After school, blue, silver, and white balloons were released to memorialize the charitable character.

“I can’t believe that was the last time I said ‘You too!’ to Mr. Dungan when he said to have a good day,” Sarah Mathews, 2017, said.

The proceeds made from the Sadie Hawkins dance, held on Sat. January 31st, will go towards the scholarship fund Richard Dungan’s family made in his name. His acts of kindness have not been forgotten and hopefully his legacy will live on.

“I knew Mr. Dungan as a soft spoken and well mannered man who always served with a smile. The front of the building will never be the same,” Isabel Parker, 2017, said.